Tax Tips and Tidbits 

January 12, 2018

 By Steven R. Anderson E.A.

At the start of this weeks Tax Tips and Tidbits I’d like to make a quick public service announcement:

The IRS forbids tax professionals from filing tax returns without W-2 forms. Beware of any tax pro who says they can file your return with your last pay stub! We can prepare your return using the last pay stub, but we can not file it until you provide the W-2 and we match the numbers.

And, a second one:

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on January 29, 2018. Any returns filed before then will wait in a que. After acceptance, refunds are usually issued within 21 days if direct deposited.

And, one more:

The PATH Act prohibits the IRS from issuing refunds for certain returns until mid-February. These are return containing Earned Income Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, and American Opportunity Credit. The IRS will hold the entire refund. Taxpayers with these credits should not expect refunds until the end of February.

Now on to this week’s topic: “What do I need to bring to do my tax return?”

First, you will need to bring your tax professional a valid, current, photo ID, even if you have been with him/her for many years. This practice is strongly recommended by the IRS, and required by New York State. Failure to do so may delay the processing of your return.

As to what else you need to bring, the answers are as varied as the many taxpayers I see during a filing season! I have included a worksheet below that will cover most tax situations. Remember not every section will apply to you.

Next week, as college students return to classes, we will discuss benefits for education.

Steven Anderson is an Enrolled Agent, licensed to practice before the IRS. He is the owner of the Beacon and Pawling franchises of H&R Block where he holds a Master Tax Advisor certification and has 28+ years of experience. Steve is also a graduate of the National Tax Practice Institute and a member of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers, and a Certified Tax Resolution Specialist.

To download this form tap link, pdf: